Wellness Fair Coming to Chapmantown
From an Enloe Medical Center Press Release
Wellness Fair coming to Chapmantown
Event offers free health screenings, resources to families in need
CHICO, Calif., April 17, 2018 – Chico families will have information from more than 30 community organizations at their fingertips on April 28 during the Chapmantown Family Wellness Fair at Chapman Elementary School, 1071 East 16th St., in Chico. Organized by the Love Chapmantown Community Coalition, Enloe Medical Center and other partners, this free event features an array of interactive activities to help local families live well.
This free event is open to the public from noon to 4 p.m. Attendees can enjoy free health education and screenings — including vision, blood pressure, pulse oximetry and ASQ development and growth assessments for children through age 5 — information on mental health, healthy relationships, immunizations, tobacco use, the importance of pap and breast screenings, and more.
“As a community, many of us have been committed to enhancing the health and wellness of individuals and families who live here. But, beyond providing traditional health care services, a key aspect of health is to look at the various social determinants that adversely impact health,” said Deanna Squires, Enloe’s community outreach coordinator. “Too many families struggle with meeting the most basic of their daily needs, including safe housing, access to food, clothing, educational and job opportunities. The Chapmantown Family Wellness Fair is coordinating resources to address many of these needs in one centralized, easy-to-access location and mixing in some fun at the same time.”
Among the participating organizations and planned activities are:
- African American Cultural Center – Dancing for health
- Alliance for Workforce Development, Inc. and Butte College – Education and job training resources, resume assistance, financial aid resources, and free ESL classes
- Ampla Health – Health care information
- Butte 2-1-1 Help Central – Connecting people to community resources
- Butte County Public Health – Car seat safety, lead poisoning prevention, clinic services, hand washing education, WIC eligibility and more
- CalFresh Outreach – Education and application assistance, as well as a grocery giveaway in partnership with Blue Bag and North State Food Bank
- Chapman Elementary School – Wellness Center and school counseling program
- Chico Children’s Museum – Imagination playground
- Chico Friends of the Library – Library card sign-ups and homework club
- Chico Police – Child safety and police K-9 demonstration
- City of Chico, Public Works – Community input on proposed pedestrian and bike path over Little Chico Creek
- Enloe Medical Center – Health screenings, asthma and COPD education, ThinkFirst safety program and helmet giveaway
- Legal Services of Northern California – Help for health and free legal services
- Northern Valley Catholic Social Service – Prenatal and parenting information
- Northern Valley Indian Health – Oral health education
- Salvation Army – Social services, clothing vouchers and clothing for children
- UC CalFresh Nutrition Education – Kids Zone and nutrition education
“We are so grateful to Chapman Elementary and the Love Chapmantown Community Coalition for bringing us all together,” said Suzanne Lawry-Hall, UC CalFresh’s program supervisor. “The support from the community has been tremendous. We hope families from throughout Chico join us, have fun, and leave the event with a better idea of how to live a healthy lifestyle and where to go for additional information or assistance.”
Enloe Medical Center is a local, nonprofit health care organization. For more information, please call (530) 332-7300 or visit us online at www.enloe.org. Enloe Medical Center is located at 1531 Esplanade Chico, Calif. 95926.
Bidwell Bar Association Art Contest!
Announcing the Bidwell Bar Association Art Contest!
Contest is open to all public and home school students.
What: Artwork of the Oroville Dam, Green Bridge, Bear, or something to do with Oroville.
Why: Art will be used on t-shirts, cups, totes, etc. that will be sold at the Lake Oroville Visitor Center.
Prizes: Two 1st Place prizes of $100 and two 2nd Place prizes of $50.
Click Here for Contest Rules or visit the Lake Oroville Visitor Center.
Questions? Contact KarroLynn Yells at 534-3551 or Terri Johnson at 589-7898.
Contest ends June 15, 2018. All submissions will be displayed at the Lake Oroville Visitor Center.
Lake Oroville CAST for Kids
Boast captains are needed! Would you like to donate your boat, time and expertise to this event?
What You Get:
Free parking and launch pass for the day; free breakfast and lunch; a commemorative CAST t-shirt and hat; a photo of you and your fishing buddy; a lifetime memory!
What: CAST is an event that gets children with disabilities and their families out on Lake Oroville for a day of fun and fishing.
When: Saturday, June 23, 2018
Where: Bidwell Canyon Boat Launch
Register At: https://castforkids.org/event/lakeoroville
Questions? Call Jana Frazier Lake Oroville CAST Committee Chair (530) 534-2306